When your home sellers need to clean their chimneys before an inspection, who do you have on speed dial? Choosing and recommending the right chimney sweep is essential to protect your home sellers and your reputation. How can you make sure that you are recommending a high-quality, experienced and trustworthy chimney sweep?
Know What Chimney Sweeps Do
A skilled chimney sweep is trained to identify a wide range of issues in your home sellers’ chimneys and remedy them. They can identify and resolve issues including:
- Code issues
- Chimney inspections
- Creosote build-up
- Smoke draft problems
- Chimney or crown restoration
- Chimney repair
- Chimney liner or cap installation
When a sweep finds an issue, they should be able to precisely and effectively communicate what the issues are, how they will be fixed and a quote. Never ask your home sellers to use a chimney sweep that cannot speak with expertise and provide a quote for any repairs after their visit.
What Questions Should You Ask?
- Do you have a liability insurance policy?
- How long has the company that the sweep works for been in business?
- Will the company protect the area where they are working and clean up after they are done?
- Does the company have testimonials or references available?
- Do you receive a well-written report noting any issues with the chimney at the end of the inspection?
- Does the chimney sweep company work with other real estate agents to provide services to home sellers?
- Are the chimney sweeps certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America? Can they provide evidence of their certification?
Beyond the questions that you ask, you should always pay close attention to the customer service of the company. Do they have a polite and professional attitude over email or on the phone? Are they flexible and helpful when asking questions, or do they seem defensive? A trustworthy and reputable company will be interested in earning your referrals and giving great service to your clients.
Clean Sweep Is Here to Help!
Call Clean Sweep Maryland today at 410-558-1111 for professional chimney sweep, slate roofing and duct cleaning services designed to keep all of your listed properties clean and safe for sellers and buyers. If you have a prospective home buyer or home seller in need of a slate roof inspection or repairs, we are here to help.