While January marks an exciting time of year for new beginnings and goals, it’s also among the driest times of year. Naturally, this means that our homes are at greater risk for fire related complications. That’s why we’ve decided to provide a few tips for keeping your home safe this January, starting with dryer safety!
Winter Dryer Safety
Dryer fires pose a legitimate threat, especially in the wintertime. Thousands of home fires per year are caused by dirty dryer vents that are clogged with lint, and such fires peak in January year after year.
A lack of routine dryer vent maintenance means that dust will begin to accumulate, causing our machines to work harder and less effectively. This leads to inconvenience and higher energy bills in the present, as well as serious issues down the line if something as simple as static electricity provides the spark that causes a fire to ignite. Be sure to have your dryer vents cleaned during this dry time of year if it has been a few years since your last cleaning!
More Winter Fire Safety Tips
While dryer fires peak in January, they certainly are not the only winter fire risk to avoid. Here are a few more tips to stay safe this winter:
- Schedule a chimney cleaning/ inspection at least once per year.
- Using a space heater? Its best to plug them directly into the wall rather than relying on cheap extension cords.
- Ensure your HVAC maintenance is up to date to prevent any untimely failures or dangerous malfunctions.
- Be cautious when it comes to overloading outlets, especially if you still have any holiday décor set up!
- Keep three feet of space between heat sources and surrounding objects. Whether you are using baseboard heating, a fireplace, space heaters, or any combination of the three, be sure to keep objects like shoes and furniture a safe distance away to eliminate fire risks.
Clean Sweep Is Here to Help!
Call Clean Sweep Maryland today at 410-558-1111 for professional dryer cleaning, chimney sweeping, slate roofing and duct cleaning services designed to keep your home clean and safe. If you are in need of a dryer cleaning, chimney inspection, or repairs, we are here to help!