Putting off dryer cleaning keeps our dryers from working at their peak efficiency at best and can cause dryer fires in our home at worst. Around 3,000 dryer fires are reported per year, and 34% of them take place due to a lack of routine maintenance. During the humid summer months of Baltimore, the risk of dryer fires is at an all-time low. As we move into fall and winter, however, the risk will only grow.
Signs That Dryer Vents Are Overdue for Cleaning
- Clothes are not dry after a normal drying cycle
- A lingering musty odor clings to your clothes
- When you open the dryer, clothes are unusually hot to the touch
- When using the dryer, the vent hood flap does not open normally to release hot air
- There is visible debris inside of the dryer vent opening
- A great deal of lint is visible in the lint trap after every dryer cycle
Preventing Dryer Fires
Homeowners can take simple steps to prevent a dryer fire from occurring in their homes, including:
- Always reading manufacturer instructions and warnings before installing a dryer
- Checking to make sure that the right electrical outlet and plug are being used
- Having the dryer vents professionally cleaned on a regular basis to prevent hazardous accumulation
- Cleaning out the lint filter after every load of laundry
- Examining the venting system behind the clothes dryer for damage a few times a year
Secondary Bonuses of Dryer Cleaning
Neglecting dryer maintenance is obviously a safety issue, but safety isn’t the only thing you’ll gain after your dryer cleaning. Just like any other appliance, if you put off regular maintenance on your dryer, it will wear out much sooner than it should. By leaving the vent clogged for extended periods, the dryer will need to work harder to dry out clothes and generate more heat as a result. The high levels of heat will tire the electrical wiring required to power the unit and cause your dryer to have a shorter lifespan than it should. If you clean your vents on a regular basis with professional help, you could save hundreds on future repair bills.
Clean Sweep Is Here to Help with Your Dryer Cleaning!
Call Clean Sweep Maryland today at 410-558-1111 for professional chimney sweep, slate roofing and duct cleaning services designed to keep all of your listed properties clean and safe for sellers and buyers. If you have a prospective home buyer or home seller in need of a chimney inspection or repairs, we are here to help!